
If you desire to hear a good sermon, go to: http://tdmiller.wordpress.com/
This is my son, Tim's blog. He posts his sermons on this blog weekly.
For the past several days I’ve been contemplating “what makes a good sermon” in my opinion. I read through Calvin College’s article written in 2002 and agreed with most of what I read. I paraphrase most of those thoughts in my article today.
Is a good sermon communication excellence? Does that mean it is well organized? I love when a preacher uses images and stories. This helps me remember his points better and I think of that sermon often during the week. I also like when the preacher acts like he is preaching to me instead of to a large audience.
In my opinion a good sermon is rooted in the Bible. It is not the opinion of the preacher. For example, if the topic is on our Gay Culture, I want to know what the Bible says about the subject, not what the popular opinion of our culture is. Isn’t preaching, after all, first and foremost the proclamation of Scripture?
Thirdly, a good sermon has the power to change me. It challenged me to a deeper obedience. It stretches me. A good sermon brings me closer to God. It challenges me to deepen my faith. A good sermon makes me want to be a better, more loving person. “A good sermon calls us to the cross and invites us into a new life with Christ. Preaching doesn’t change people, God changes people through preaching.”
In order to get something from a sermon I must approach the sermon filled with awe, humility and expectancy that the Holy Spirit will do a great work. I can’t just sit back and dare my preacher to wow me with a great sermon. I must lean forward and be an active participant in God’s Word, asking God to speak to me through the pastor’s sermon.
When I go to a Chiropractic seminar, I try to get one thing out of every session that I am willing to apply when I return back to the office on Monday morning.
Preaching doesn’t change
people. God changes people
through preaching.
So, what is it that you took back last Monday morning from your pastor’s sermon?
This is my son, Tim's blog. He posts his sermons on this blog weekly.
For the past several days I’ve been contemplating “what makes a good sermon” in my opinion. I read through Calvin College’s article written in 2002 and agreed with most of what I read. I paraphrase most of those thoughts in my article today.
Is a good sermon communication excellence? Does that mean it is well organized? I love when a preacher uses images and stories. This helps me remember his points better and I think of that sermon often during the week. I also like when the preacher acts like he is preaching to me instead of to a large audience.
In my opinion a good sermon is rooted in the Bible. It is not the opinion of the preacher. For example, if the topic is on our Gay Culture, I want to know what the Bible says about the subject, not what the popular opinion of our culture is. Isn’t preaching, after all, first and foremost the proclamation of Scripture?
Thirdly, a good sermon has the power to change me. It challenged me to a deeper obedience. It stretches me. A good sermon brings me closer to God. It challenges me to deepen my faith. A good sermon makes me want to be a better, more loving person. “A good sermon calls us to the cross and invites us into a new life with Christ. Preaching doesn’t change people, God changes people through preaching.”
In order to get something from a sermon I must approach the sermon filled with awe, humility and expectancy that the Holy Spirit will do a great work. I can’t just sit back and dare my preacher to wow me with a great sermon. I must lean forward and be an active participant in God’s Word, asking God to speak to me through the pastor’s sermon.
When I go to a Chiropractic seminar, I try to get one thing out of every session that I am willing to apply when I return back to the office on Monday morning.
Preaching doesn’t change
people. God changes people
through preaching.
So, what is it that you took back last Monday morning from your pastor’s sermon?
No comments:
Post a Comment