Christmas...Your favorite time of the year!
I was reflecting on what I like most about the Christmas season, and the things I look forward to becoming too old to do.
My mother was never happy unless every family member was home when she planned an event. Though it warmed her heart when everyone was together, I never completely understood why. She was so busy serving, she rarely got to enter into our conversations when we were all together. I loved one on one time with my Mom and Dad. They were a lot of fun when there were fewer of us together. We played table games and shopped together in Florida. That is how Florida became my happy place. Most of my warm feelings about my Mom and Dad are from memories with them in Florida.
I get very warm feelings when I reflect on how much fun it is to play table games with my grandchildren. I love one on one with my children and grandchildren. I loved playing Dominoes with Aubrey, Layla, and Caroline. I loved playing Wizard and Rack-o with Layla and Aubrey. I discovered that Layla and Aubrey both are very competitive when they play games (and very smart). They were my most willing participants.
I loved that I can always count on my son in law, Wayne to introduce Norm and I to a new board game each year. It always stretches my brain. I love the fact that Tyler, Melody and Wayne play lots of table games together, at home.
I love eating food around a big table. But I am terrible at thinking ahead about what everyone could help me with, once the house gets full of people. I used to be a good delegator when the kids were young. My favorite statement they always remember me for is: "God gave you two hands and feet, just like me." So why didn't I ask someone to make Coffee for every meal, someone to set the table, someone to fill the water glasses, someone to clear the plates, someone to clear the food off the table, someone to load the dishwasher. Instead, I expected myself to do all that. I missed out on walks on the golf course with the family, because somewhere inside my head, I thought that was my job as a Grandma and Mom.
I looked forward to playing basketball, swimming, taking walks, and playing games with each of the grandchildren. I looked forward to taking individual walks with my children and in laws and finding out how they are personally. I missed out on almost all of that, because I was busy thinking about the next meal and blessing food.
On December 25 we celebrated the birthday of Jesus. My ideal birthday party is inviting close friends or family, playing the birthday person's favorite games, favorite foods.
Jesus had a birthday. I spent a lot more time, hoping my children and office employees would be happy with their gifts. Jesus birthday.....it felt a lot like many people celebrate birthdays today. Everyone eats together, but hardly any attention is given to celebrating the Life of the birthday person.
And how much attention did I give Jesus on his birthday this year. I cared more about putting on a video of Jesus birth that the children would watch, than I did about taking time to Celebrate the birthday of the King. What did Jesus want for His birthday? Give him my Heart? Oh yes, that is what He would have wanted......if I had not been stressing out about everyone else's gifts on His birthday.
I have had a lot of time to reflect on Jesus birthday today, as I took down the Christmas decorations. I believe that next year, Jesus would like me to pray a prayer of blessing on each of my children and grandchildren. I believe that the best Christmas gift my Grandchildren could give me is to sit down with me and play their favorite game with their Grandmother. Remind me next Christmas.
Thursday, January 02, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment