Saturday, February 20, 2010

It is Hard for me to Admit



Since Olive's death and the trauma of the last 4 months, I have noticed some disturbing changes. When people ask me how we are doing, I usually say okay, because I really don't know how to answer that question.

I spend most of my time reliving the last week with Olive, and especially the last couple hours of her life.

My short term memory loss problems have increased....alarmingly so. I have left my purse in a Thai Restaurant (retrieved by my daughter). I often don't remember where I parked. And this week I even took off with the bank's drive-thru deposit container after getting cash. I slowly backed up and when I drove in to replace it, the bank teller consoled me by saying "it happens all the time, thanks for bringing it back." Bless her heart for trying to make me feel better. It just scared me spitless. What was I going to do next? My words and my thoughts don't come together. I'm often embarrassed by what I hear myself say. I wonder aimlessly in a store and tire quickly of shopping. I only shop when I have to, often asking others to pick things up for me. I don't enjoy going to church where there are crowds of people. Being with a few people is better. I have difficulty concentrating when I do the office accounts payable which was always my most enjoyed project for 30 years). I spent a grueling 8 hours yesterday reconciling 3 months of statements.

I have been too embarrassed to admit all this until today when my devotional consoled me that I was not losing my mind. I'm reading "Grieving the Loss of Someone You Love" by Mitsch and Brookside. The authors say that
it isn't unusual to "go crazy" following the death of a loved one. Many people experience short term memory loss. The mind becomes paralyzed. People report re-living the last time they saw their loved one alive. Others report a loss of concentration. Some grind their teeth. Others develope symptoms of depression....We rarely ever encounter anyone who is able to tell us how to go about grieving. Grief seems to happen to us rather than happen with our assent.


So, friends, it is actually too frightening sometimes to figure out the answer to the question of how we are doing. Maybe you can tell by my short term memory loss???? and lack of concentration when you ask me a question. Ask me again in about four months. Meanwhile just give us a hug and let us know you are praying for Rusty and Lynette.

I am consoled by hearing your stories of grief. I cried this week with a new widow. A friend sent me a card with her tears. Another friend sent me flowers and took me out for lunch, and we mutually shared our pain. My sister did an errand for me. We have so enjoyed our supper times with R & L. The church, my friends, the medical team at SB Memorial, and you in cyber space have been awesome during this time of loss and grief. Thanks for your notes and love.

11 comments:

Carrie said...

Love you, Carol.

StuckeyBlog said...

Yes, love you, Mom.

Velma Swartz said...

A hug goes out to you. You are working hard, Carol. Bless you.

lynette showalter said...

dear friend, your sharing touches me deeply. time to share some (tear) soup together again. i so enjoyed watching the tear soup video with you last week. think of you often.

Anonymous said...

I think it's time you go with me to Florida for some R & R.....just laying back a little and hanging out at the beach. Does that sound good?
Praying for you & your loved ones dear cousin! God bless you!

Bergfamilyfun said...

Carol,
I went to school w/ Rusty's sister Stacia and I have followed Lynette's and your blogs since Olive was born. You guy's have an amazing family!!
My best friend lost her son (my sons best friend) 2.5yrs ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever been through. I remember her telling me that the first yr she would just be lost in a fog and was numb. Like you she often had people ask how she was doing and her response was always "we are hanging in there." But really she was devastated and broken.. It's normal to feel the way that you do and just know there are so many people praying for you and your family. I know the pain never goes away but it will get easier w/ time even though right now it doesnt seem that way. You are all in my thoughts and prayers daily..
HUGS & LOVE from Seattle,
Joelle

Mary A. Miller said...

Oh Carol, a big hug for you! I can imagine one wouldn't ever even want to be "Okay"! And be afraid of losing the memory of Olive. Such a huge loss! My heart goes out to you and Rusty & Lynette, and think of you often.

Kathy Beachy said...

Just got back to reality..we love you guys!

Rustin and Lynette Polinder said...

i love you too mom. its nice reading your blog even when we are living under the same roof right now.

Fern Bontrager said...

A hug is coming your way along with love and prayers.

Dave & Gloria said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Carol...yeah, for sure, you are NOT going crazy... as you have read and shared with us, you are walking through deep grief... or as the Psalmist put it..."through the valley of the shadow of death"...
Love you, Gloria